Skip to main content

A New Year - 1802

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Friday, January 1st, 1802

A New Year and a new hope that this will be a good one bringing new friends as well as old, new dances to learn, new dresses to behold and of course, new officers, new flirts and novel fun!
Mama is at last coming to terms with the fact that Miss Lucas and Mr Collins are to be married next Thursday and has even been heard to say she wishes them happy. She does not fool me however and it is plain that she thinks if she says it often enough, she will eventually believe it herself.
I have not been into Meryton for a week as I cannot face Captain Carter and I have been feeling a little under the weather. My head aches and my throat is sore-no doubt I have contracted the putrid infection that has plagued my former friends.

Lydia Bennet