Skip to main content

Lydia makes a visit!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Saturday, December 26th, 1801

My sisters and I visited the poor with boxes of gifts and food this morning. I am sure I would not be so grateful to receive a linen shift and a couple of old meat pies, but I suppose to them they are riches indeed. Dame Wilkins said I was a very comely girl and remarked on how much I had grown since last year. She said that whilst sitting at her window watching the world go by, that she has noticed how much I like the company of a young redcoat. I was tempted to say that I notice how some elderly gossips have nothing better to do but use their observations to spread malicious tittle tattle but I knew Lizzy or Jane would have something to say if I did. I held my tongue, but I ask you, can I help it if I am so popular?
We are engaged for Lucas Lodge tonight - I do hope Captain Carter is recovered enough to make an appearance, indeed I do depend on it or my heart will surely be broke. No matter, I daresay Mr Wickham will do the honours and stand up with me.

Lydia Bennet