Skip to main content

A Whole Regiment of Soldiers!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Thursday, October 29th, 1801

Kitty and I ventured into town this morning on our Aunt Philips' intelligence of the latest news concerning the arrival of a whole regiment of soldiers! The streets were lined with girls, mamas and matrons alike from the surrounding neighbourhood and as our eyes beheld the uniformed youth marching down the High Street, there were shrieks of joy heard all around. We were not disappointed, line upon line of handsome soldiers and debonair officers strutted along the thoroughfare, a blaze of scarlet and gleaming gold buttons. I do not know when I have ever felt so happy, especially when I caught the eye of several officers as my huzzahs reached their ears and my blown kisses caught their attention.
Such visions of manliness, I swear Kitty and I did not know where to look first! The militia is to be quartered throughout the winter and Uncle Philips has promised to visit them all! Captain Carter has already been introduced - we spied him over the way, swaggering along in a red coat with the Colonel of the regiment, delectably good looking and with such a fine figure! I think the Captain one of the most handsome men I ever set eyes on!

Mrs Lydia Carter - there, that looks very well!!!

Lydia Bennet