Skip to main content

An unexpected carriage comes to Longbourn

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Sunday, November 15th 1801

We were all surprised after coming home from church, by the arrival of a carriage we did not immediately recognise. In it were Jane and Lizzy, come home in Bingley’s equipage to rule the roost again and mither me beyond endurance. Papa seems very pleased about the affair but my mother does not, and I join her in thinking that my elder sister should have made more effort to secure her engagement to Mr Bingley. I am sure I would not be so tardy and would by now have marched him up the aisle. I never did see the attraction in Mr Bingley, which is just as well, because I feel sure had I made a play for him, the poor man would not have been able to resist me. I shall have to give Jane a hint if she is not to be left on the shelf, poor thing. I would hate to see her miserable if she could not marry the man she so desperately loves. Still, I'm sure I cheered her up with my news and I could not resist hinting to everyone that Colonel Forster is to be married!

Lydia Bennet

The photograph shows a needlecase by Trinita Marr. Her designs are inspired by the Regency and the work of Jane Austen.