Skip to main content

Mr Bingley issues an invitation for the Netherfield Ball!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Thursday, November 19th,1801
The ball at Netherfield is set for Tuesday evening! I declare that I am the happiest girl in Hertfordshire - the prospect of dancing with all my favourite beaux is so thrilling that I do not know how I will ever sleep again.

Mama declared that the ball must be in Jane’s honour - she was so pleased that Mr Bingley had flattered her so much by bringing the invitation himself, although he had the misfortune of having his horrid sisters attending him.

Catherine and I must go into Meryton tomorrow to look in the shops and perchance pick a partner or two whilst out shopping!
I am happy for Jane, she is very excited at the thought of dancing with Mr Bingley all evening. Lizzy seemed unusually quiet and thoughtful this morning, but she cheered up considerably at the news of the ball. I think perhaps she was hoping to steal Mr Wickham’s attention the whole night, but unfortunately, her plans have gone awry. Cousin Collins promptly asked Lizzy for the opportunity of soliciting the first two dances, much to her alarm. I can hardly believe this stroke of good fortune - it will fall on me to have to open the ball with the dashing Mr Wickham!

Lydia Bennet