Skip to main content

Bingley promises a ball!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Thursday, November 12th, 1801

I have been provoked beyond belief. Mama insisted that we break our engagement with our dear friends, and accompany her to Netherfield Park to visit Jane. It is so very vexing and I do not know when I will forgive my sister for being ill. How she could choose to be unwell at such a time is plaguing in the extreme. Have sent a servant with a note to Meryton - I do hope we will be excused our indisposition and not be snubbed!

Jane looked in perfect good health, but our mother urged maintenance of her present situation. With the apothecary‘s collusion and Mr Bingley’s insistence, the matter was settled. Kitty and I were forced to sit with the company within the breakfast parlour but as nobody took the slightest notice of us, we were able to miss most of the tedious discourse. I recollected that Mr Bingley had promised to throw a ball as soon as he had settled at Netherfield and communicated this fact to Catherine in what I hoped were audible whispers. We drew up a list of partners, although in truth, I could only think of one name with whom I wished to dance. The thought of dancing with Captain Carter is vastly exciting! Should he become overheated betwixt a Limerick jig and a Brighton waltz, I will certainly take a turn with HIM in the moonlight.

I reminded Mr Bingley about his promise and I must have charmed him, for I am to name the day of the ball! We have to wait until Jane is better, but in any case we cannot have a ball without Captain Carter who has gone to town, and I said as much, adding that I will use my influence with Colonel Forster and shame him into hosting a ball too.

Lydia Bennet