Skip to main content

Mrs Bennet is elated!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.

Monday, October 5th 1801

Mama has been in dire spirits for a week but, thank the Lord, everything changed today. So completely altered is her mood, that if a stranger happened to walk in on us this evening they might feel a certain alarm and deduce my mother quite ill! If I did not know better, I myself would suspect the hysterics, because all she has done tonight is laugh and flutter about like a deranged butterfly, dancing from sister to sister, alighting upon us with her lips pursed. My cheeks are damp with her kisses and I am certain papa's bald patch has suffered as a consequence of her frantic pecks - but it is such a relief to have her spirits restored, that I have endured it all without a single complaint!
He took great delight in teasing us all, but it transpires that papa has been to visit Mr Bingley after all and has made his acquaintance. Mama felt sure we would never be introduced and that one of Mrs Long’s nieces would have the advantage and be married by Christmas!

This was the scene. My mother (in vexed mood) had been scolding Kitty for coughing. Papa was teasing mama by saying that she could introduce Mrs Long to Bingley and she was getting cross because she knew that until she had been introduced to the gentleman, she could do no such thing.

"I am sick of Mr. Bingley," cried my mother.

"I am sorry to hear that;" replied my father, "but why did not you tell me so before? If I had known as much this morning I certainly would not have called on him. It is very unlucky; but as I have actually paid the visit, we cannot escape the acquaintance now."

Our astonishment was just what he wished. Our mother was more surprised than the rest of us; though, when the first tumult of joy was over, she began to declare that it was what she had expected all the while.


"How good it was in you, my dear Mr Bennet! But I knew I should persuade you at last. I was sure you loved your girls too well to neglect such an acquaintance. Well, how pleased I am! And it is such a good joke, too, that you should have gone this morning, and never said a word about it till now."

"Now, Kitty, you may cough as much as you chuse," said papa; and, as he spoke, he left the room, fatigued with the raptures of his wife.

I daresay Mr Bingley will dance with me at the next ball, as mother said, for although I am the youngest, I am the tallest and though I hate to boast, I must be one of the most handsome of all the young ladies in the parish. I daresay my elder sisters Jane and Lizzy will get their turn, especially if my mother has anything to do with it. She is determined that Mr Bingley is to marry one of her daughters!