Skip to main content

Mr Bingley goes to Town

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Thursday, October 8th 1801

Mr Bingley returned our father’s call at last, but for all the excitement that entailed, I must own that I cannot see what all the fuss is about. I spied on him from an upstairs window and though he looks tolerably handsome in a blue coat, a regimental one of scarlet hue would work wonders for him in my opinion. Well, no doubt he will ask me to dance at the Meryton assembly. I will accept one turn about the floor, but he ought not to depend on me dancing more than once as, I daresay I shall be inundated with requests, - I ask you, can a girl help it if she is so popular?

Mother is out of sorts. Mr Bingley has gone to town and is not able to come to dinner as she had hoped.

"What business can he have in town so soon after his arrival in Hertfordshire?" she demanded of my father.

"I can't imagine why he should be so keen to get away," papa murmured from his hiding place behind a large firescreen, "when he must have invitations from every spinster in the neighbourhood cluttering up his mantleshelf." He popped out his head to wink at my sister. "What a prospect, eh, Lizzy? Don't you envy him?"

They both laughed heartily - at what, I do not know - they are always laughing at the stupidest things imaginable - it really vexes me.

Mama was not to be silenced on the subject. "It does not bode well, if he is to be constantly flying about from one place to another and never settling at Netherfield as he ought to be. We shall never see him and I cannot think how we are to dispose of all the extra victuals I ordered for the dinner he was to attend. It will not do!"

Lady Lucas called later with more intelligence and although mama has been comforted somewhat by the report that he is gone to London to get a large party for the ball - twelve ladies and seven young men - we remain unimpressed by the lack of gentlemen!

Lydia Bennet