Skip to main content

Elizabeth Bennet, Aunt Phillips and the joys of a good gossip!

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.


Monday, October 12th, 1801
This is a drawing of Lizzy by my sister Jane. Elizabeth enjoys reading as much as I love dancing and she declares there is nothing so wonderful as a good novel. La! I cannot agree. My particular preference is for good company, spiced with lots of diverting gossip! And this, my dear friends, may be found in plentiful supply at my Aunt Philips's house in Meryton.
She is my mother's sister and as dear an aunt as ever lived! - She is such a rattle! Kitty and I like to visit my aunt whenever we can - it is a house always full of interesting visitors. My Aunt and Uncle Philips enjoy a wide circle of friends and their house is always busy with people calling or dining, or there are card parties and evening gatherings; everything affable and sociable. I think mama is a little envious of her sister at times, especially when it is so hard to make papa join in any fun! It is a great mystery to me to understand how my parents ever came together or what either of them ever saw in the other - well, they say love makes one blind and I think in this case, a truer phrase could not be found!
Lydia Bennet