Skip to main content

A Poem dedicated to Miss Elizabeth Bennet, by her sister Lydia

Lydia Bennet's Online Diary.
At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's online diary starts just before Mr Bingley arrives and finishes where my novel, Lydia Bennet's Story, begins.
Tuesday, 29th September, 1801

I am not often inspired to write my thoughts down in the form of poetry, such as I have seen my sisters do, but when I came across these verses in my pocket book, I laughed out loud! Between us, I must tell you that, my sister Lizzy is always going on and on about the folly of my behaviour, so I was reassured when I read this excellent poem, that a little folly is good for us after all!




"Pray, what is folly?" Sages say,
'Tis part of every ruling passion:
'Tis to be fond of fun and fashion.
It is to love-it is to wed-
(This last I've half a mind to try it)-
'Tis every hope by fancy bred,
They say-and I do not deny it.

So then, according to the wise,
Folly is found in all our pleasures:
It mingles with our smiles and sighs,
And forms a part of life's best treasures.
If joy is ne'er from folly free,
Why, then, indeed, my dear Eliza,
However foolish we may be,
'Tis greater folly to be wiser!


I found this fashion plate in mama's monthly museum-I wonder if I might persuade her to some new stuff for a gown. I cannot help but imagine myself in such finery.Oh, it is so hard being poor-I daresay Maria Lucas only has to smile at her father, Sir William, to have a new gown. It is so unfair!!!

Lydia Bennet