Skip to main content

Lydia Bennet arrives from America!

What excitement! When a large parcel arrived from Sourcebooks in America, I could scarcely contain myself. Seeing an image of my book is nothing to actually having the pleasure of seeing it and holding it in my hands at last. I am absolutely thrilled and I can't thank enough all the people who have worked on Lydia Bennet's Story to make my dreams come true. Thank you to the design department - I love the size of the book and the cover - the illustration and text have a gloss finish, which set against the rhubarb and custard matt finish of the rest looks really yummy! Inside, the decorations are very pretty on the chapter headings, and the whole book smells wonderful. I know that might seem a bit of a strange thing to say, but I love the smell of books, especially new ones. Thank you to everyone who worked on it, but especially to Deb Werksman for believing in me.

I thought this morning we'd see if Jane is in at her home in Chawton. Let's pass by the front door and peep in the window at the side. What a beautiful gothic window! Is she in? I can't see her there, but I expect she's sitting in the dining parlour, writing at her little table with a piece of paper ready to cover her work if she thinks anyone might come in. If the door squeaks she will be alert and no doubt pretend that she is doing something else entirely.


To celebrate the upcoming publication of my new book I shall be publishing a new online diary of Lydia's, including new illustrations and pictures, which I hope you will enjoy. At this time of the year I always read Pride and Prejudice and I thought it would be fun to see what Lydia is thinking about all the goings on at Longbourn. Lydia's diary will start just before Mr Bingley arrives and terminate where Lydia Bennet's Story starts. Join me tomorrow with my naughty Lydia!